Search Engine Optimization for hair salons, otherwise known as SEO for hair salons, is an essential tool in promoting your business online. Particularly for hair salons, setting yourself apart from your competitors can be challenging since the services offered are very similar.
Word of mouth is going to be essential in getting your hair salon noticed, in fact a 2010 Harris Interactive poll found that 71% of respondents claim that reviews from family members or friends exert a “great deal” or “fair amount” of influence in purchasing decisions.
Word of mouth marketing also translates to online searches and new clients and customers for your hair salon.
SEO Tips and Strategies
It may be tempting to fall back on simple word of mouth marketing by keeping up with the latest styling trends and providing excellent customer service. By taking it a step further and engaging in local SEO, your hair salon can be found by potential new clients and customers.
It is important to be wary of shady SEO practices, like social media and blog comment spam, and low-quality article marketing, all of which can actually penalize your Web site. Instead, take the time to ensure your SEO practices are done properly by hiring the best SEO company. Reputation Rhino, a New York SEO company recently published a FREE eBook called SEO Made Simple, which you can download by clicking on the link below:
What can hair salons do for local SEO? First, consider your marketing budget. A HubSpot marketing report found that three out of four inbound marketing channels actually cost less than any outbound channel. Blogs, social media and SEO are cheaper than trade shows, telemarketing and direct mail.
1. Determine relevant keywords and tie-in your trade show presence. Trade shows are immensely popular ways for hair salons and stylists to learn new skills and market their own shops. Utilize that marketing momentum and tie-in SEO. When trade show season comes around, update your keywords list and make sure you’re using the key words in your Web site. This way, your fellow stylists and potential customers can search for a certain technique and find you as a resource.
2. Make sure your local business listings are accurate. It’s a very competitive marketplace and when our New York SEO company started working with local and national clients, we noticed that many small businesses had inaccurate information all over the web – outdated phone numbers, mistaken business addresses or incorrect contact information. This is fatal for local SEO where Google favors companies with consistent name, address and phone (NAP) details across multiple highly relevant local business listing sites.
3. Blog to increase frequency of content. Another great way to tie-in your attendance at a trade show is to blog about it while you’re there. Use it as an opportunity to create more content on your Web site, and pair it with your keywords. Creating a blog will allow you to naturally use your keywords on your Web site. But most importantly, blogging will showcase your knowledge and authority in your field. People searching for information on certain styling, cutting and coloring techniques can become regular readers of your blog, and you will be sought after for appointments. It’s a way to build your brand above being the neighborhood styling hotspot.
4. Linkbuilding. Linkbuilding is very important to your Web site, as the number and quality of links to your Web site will help determine your Page Rank. Page Rank is a measurement of how important Google thinks your Web site is relative to your competitors. It also determines your rank for many search terms. Your Page Rank will rise when you have quality links pointing towards your Web site. Overall, it’s important to remember that quality trumps quantity when you’re linkbuilding.
5. Hire the best SEO company. Many firms advertise their ability to perform excellent search engine optimization for hair salons. As a New York SEO company, we know that choosing the right one can be difficult, so be sure to look for an SEO firm that is knowledgeable about your industry, has extensive marketing experience, and outstanding writing skills. The content of your Web site is what’s going to drive your SEO, so be sure you’re going with an SEO company that has a strong command of English.