You wouldn’t go into battle with one bullet in your chamber or go on a road trip with one gallon of gas. So why would you launch an online PPC advertising campaign with only one ad?
The best way to find out if your online ad is going to spark interest and generate a good click-through rate is to test out a few different versions to see which ones tend to show up on search the most often and have a positive response. This technique enables you to utilize different keywords and phrases.
To help you understand the many metrics available to demonstrate the success of a PPC ad, experts advise to look at several metrics and the following is the place to start:
- Impressions – The number of times your ad was displayed in a search results page.
- Clicks – The number of times someone clicked on your ads.
- Click Through Rate (CTR) – The percentage of clicks divided by Impressions
- Cost – The total cost for all clicks.
- Average Cost per Click (CPC) – Total cost divided by the total number of clicks.
- Average Position – How high in the results page is your ad showing. 1 is the highest.
- Impression Share – The percentage of the total number of times your ad could have been shown vs the actual number of times it was shown.
- Conversions – The number of times someone clicked on an ad and completed an action you defined as a conversion within a specific period of time.
- Quality Score – Relevancy of your combined keyword, ad and landing page which affects your CPC. Quality scores vary but the higher the better.